Free Nutrition Classes! Our aim is to help Niagara County residents “eat better for less”!
Do you want to know how to:
- Stretch your food dollars
- Plan & prepare quick and easy meals
- Make healthy choices for you and your family
- Keep food safe to eat
- Feed your family healthier snacks
- Improve your health, at any age!
Join us for Nutrition Education Classes! We provide educational classes to individuals and families on nutrition and health, meal planning, budgeting your food dollars, and safe food preparation. Classes are interactive, involve hands-on learning experience and are free for Niagara County residents who are food stamp eligible or meet other income requirements.
In 2012, over 330 Niagara County residents enrolled in our program and as a result, here are some positive changes they made:
- 92% improved dietary practices such as preparing foods without adding salt and reading nutrition labels
- 76% improved food purchasing practices such as planning meals ahead of time, comparing prices in food ads or using a grocery list when grocery shopping
- 51% improved food handling practices such as not allowing meat and dairy to sit out of more than 2 hours or not thawing foods at room temperature
- 25% increased their frequency of being physically active
What do people say after they enroll in our program?
“My taste for vegetables, low-fat milk and whole grains is now shared by my whole family. I can now cook nutritious and economical meals for my family.” – Husband and father of 2
“Fruits and vegetables along with whole grain breads and brown rice are now served at every meal. I plan my meals for the week and use a grocery list, which helps me save money. I am so glad I took the classes because the food situation in my house has totally turned around!” – Wife and mother of 4
These programs are made possible by funding from two grants, the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP), and Eat Smart New York (ESNY).
To receive more information about the program, or to see if you are eligible, contact us at either our:
Lockport Office at (716) 433-8839 ext. 238
Niagara Falls Office at (716) 285-3403 ext. 2255
Nutrition Resource Educator
(716) 433-8839 ext. 238
(716) 285-3403 ext. 2255
(716) 433-8839 ext. 240
(716) 433-8839 ext. 230
The ESNY newsletter is a monthly publication that contains food and wellness tips, and a variety of recipes: